Hurricane took the house and everything in it, what do I do? Q and A

Q: I sustained a loss to my dwelling and contents during a Hurricane. Will my insurance issue separate checks for dwelling and personal property contents since my mortgage company has no vested interest or lien against my personal property.

A: Bobby, before I answer your question you should know I am a licensed Public Insurance Adjuster in Florida, and I am not licensed Texas. The insurance company should issue separate settlement checks for your personal contents and your dwelling. The mortgage company should not be named on your settlement check for personal contents. Additionally, if you have applicable Additional Living Expenses (ALE), save all your receipts for your insurance company so you can get your money back. You can also go to the National Association of Public Insurance Adjusters (NAPIA) website to find a Public Adjuster in your area. Public Adjusters specialize in claims assessment and negotiation, helping their clients receive the highest settlement amount they are entitled to under the terms of their policy.